So, since my birthday is upcoming... and I look for any excuse I can, I grabbed three hobby boxes. Overall, not a bad value at $75 each with a chance to pull some epically great cards. Let's see the highlights. First, we'll start with all the mini's!!!!
Bo Jackson doing archery? Awesome. Hulk Hogan being Hulk Hogan? Awesome. Troy Aikman? Not awesome. Warren Moon with the 1970's era afro? Count me as a huge fan of this card!
Am I going to post any base cards? No, not so much, you can find pictures of those easily enough everywhere else, and let's face it you really just come here to see what sick hits I pull. We'll see how sick this gets, good or bad... (Note: these boxes I am posting are in the exact order I opened them)...
As for the hits...
- Who the hell is Rickey Carmichael and why should I want his autograph? Meh.
- Dale Hawerchuk... took my three attempts to type his last name. I don't watch NHL, so I have no clue who this guys is.
- Doug Flutie on drums.... hmmm...
As for the hits:
- At least I've got a baseball player's auto here. Hold please, googling... drafted in 2009, still in A ball. Why is he in this set? Phillies collectors, you want to trade for this card, right?
- Tim Howard... awesome relic, can actually find pictures of him online with this color/style jersey on.... can't complain too much about this one.
- Wendel Clark - see note on Dale Hawerchuk, don't know this guy... is he good? Great? HOF material? Or scrub? The world will never know.
As for the hits:
- Jackie Stiles.... 3rd rate basketball player... and in the women's game at that. Thanks UD. Thanks. BUT IT'S ON CARD!!! :|
- John Elway? Yes, more please. This is caliber of star that I expect out of "champions" sets. I'm sure Stiles and Carmichael were "champions" of something at some point in their lives, but Elway was AWESOME.
- Jim Kelly makes an appearance! Honestly, I'd rather have a relic of that shirt Jim's wearing in the picture on the card. That thing is EPIC! How awesome is that???
But wait, there's more. Somehow I stumbled upon a miracle in the 3rd box... it was loaded with a couple extra goodies... first, a mini printing plate:
Next up, this one threw me for a loop, I was caught totally off guard, keep in mind, this came out of a 2012 box of Goodwin:
So yea, I got extremely lucky with that last box, two HOF football players' relics, plus two bonus "hits".
I'm a fan of Goodwin Champions. It's unique and fun, despite the relic checklist being about twice as long as it needs to be. The base cards look great and every once in a while lightning strikes. I really want one of the Civil War flag cards as well. How sweeeeet is that card?